What if we had a day to celebrate our world’s diversity by bringing the world to your doorstep? Well you’re in luck. World Student Day is on July 26th, 2019. This free public event is happening across Canada brought to you by Languages Canada, the voice of the Canadian language education sector.
On today’s episode, we bring you Felicity Borgal and Linda Auzins from Languages Canada. Felicity has been with Languages Canada for over six years and she is now the Officer for Research and Special Projects. This is the sixth year that Felicity has coordinated the World Student Day event in Canada. Linda was the first employee of Languages Canada and she’s been involved with the evolution of standards for language programs, especially those around homestay. Linda is often consulted when there are issues with homestay hosts.
So listen in on how World Student Day impacts the students you host and how you can join in on the free fun if it’s hosted in your city. Then listen in on how Languages Canada believes the safety of students is paramount and how that pertains to host families, just like you.
Felicity Borgal has been with Languages Canada for over six years, starting as an administrative assistant. She is now the Officer for Research and Special Projects. This is the sixth year that Felicity has coordinated the World Student Day event in Canada.
Linda Auzins, based in Aldergrove (British Columbia), was the first employee of Languages Canada and previously worked for 10 years for Canadian Association of Private Language Schools which merged with another association to form Languages Canada in March of 2008. For the past eleven years as the Director of Member Services for Languages Canada, Linda has managed member services, and provides board and committee support for the Membership / Conference Committee, Quality Assurance Committee, and the BC Chapter. She’s been involved with the evolution of standards for language programs, especially those around homestay. Linda is the initial point of contact for most general and member inquiries and often consulted when there are issues with homestay hosts.
Key Points From This Episode:
- We chat about how World Student Day started.
- Felicity gives us the scoop on all the (free) fun we can expect at #wsd2019.
- We discuss some of the biggest misunderstandings and myths of the industry.
- Linda and Felicity share their perspectives about the benefits and value international students bring to our country.
- How did Languages Canada come to be? Linda has been there since the beginning.
- Linda outlines how Languages Canada supports students by setting standards for homestay and providing quality assurance.
- We talk about some of the issues reported to Linda regarding homestay placements.
- Felicity shares her homestay/exchange experience.
- Linda reminisces about her first interactions with international homestay students.
- Is hosting international students in your future?
- Linda enlightens us on how homestay is changing.
- We talk food!