In this episode, we are celebrating Chinese New Year. This year for 2019, CNY lands on February 5th and it’s the Year of the Pig. In Mary’s family, her big thing is her family’s New Year’s Eve dinner and since Erin has a Chinese student, we celebrated a pre-New Year’s dinner at her house. We brought our recording equipment, but there was a recording malfunction, so there were only a couple of clips we could use. So we lost some thoughts from the two students we cooked with. However, we did have a rice intervention with Erin as we go through how to properly prepare rice in the Chinese tradition. If you’re looking for a way to celebrate with your Chinese international student, this is an episode for you! Or if you just like food, this one is good too. We also share what it’s like to introduce a different food culture to young kids and how cake is not really your traditional “cake” in its Asian form.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Gung Hay Fat Choy. It’s the Year of the Pig.
- When is Chinese New Year? Ask your Chinese friend!
- It all started with grocery shopping.
- How does Mary rate Erin’s driving skills?
- Mary gives tips on how to pick fresh fish.
- The Rice Debate. Mary defends white rice.
- A few confessions and several interventions. Erin fesses up.
- On the topic of confessions… What happened to the audio equipment?
- Descaling the fish
- We talk about the dishes and all the ingredients.
- We discuss ground rules for next year’s dinner.
- Mary tries to make Erin cry, but Erin turns the table on Mary!
- We go over red envelope etiquette.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: